Ocean Shipping in Maryland, DC, and Virginia
Need to ship via ocean container from the DC metro area? Platinum Moving Services has more than 30 years of experience shipping items overseas. We can do it all for you—from packing your items to loading them into a shipping container, taking it to port, and having the items delivered to their destination once they make it ashore.
Why Choose Ocean Shipping?
There are several reasons why shipping goods via ocean may be the right choice for you:
- Typically, shipping via ocean will cost you less than shipping via air. In some cases that may not be true, but most of the time you will save money overall when you use an ocean container rather than air freight.
- Ocean containers come in large sizes (see below) and therefore can likely hold your entire household’s items in one shipment.
- Shipping via sea is often the most practical and cost-effective way to get your items abroad if you are moving to another country.
What Can an Ocean Container Hold?
Ocean containers come in three sizes:
- 20-ft – 1150 cubic feet volume
- 40-ft – 2300 cubic feet volume
- 40-ft High Cube – 2600 cubic feet volume
Keep in mind, total volume is not the same as usable space. When filling an ocean container, there will always be unused space, especially toward the top of the container. Losses of 10 to 15 percent in useable volume can be expected when packing a container with boxes and odd shaped household goods and personal effects. For this reason, we try to be conservative with our calculations to avoid costly mistakes. No one wants to find out on moving day that their items won’t fit into the shipping container they reserved! Therefore, we calculate ocean container space in the following way:
- 20-ft – No more than 1000 cubic feet of capacity (a two- or three-bedroom apartment)
- 40-ft – Between 2000 and 2100 cubic feet of capacity (a three- or four-bedroom home)
- 40-ft High Cube – About 2300 cubic feet of capacity (a very large house)
Platinum Moving provides free on-site surveys (an in-person estimate of your moving costs) to determine which size ocean container you need. If you need more information on ocean containers, contact us today.
Container Shipping Service from DC
To ship via ocean, we will first properly crate your items so they can be loaded into a sea container. Our full ocean shipping service also includes:
- Taking an inventory of your items.
- Booking the vessel to destination.
- Arranging for pickup and delivery of the sea container to your home.
- Loading the container and sealing it with a lock and numbered metal seal.
- Processing all documentation (Bill of Lading, Export Declaration, and other documents).
- Delivering the full container to port.
- Arranging for destination services with a reputable shipping agent in the destination country. At Platinum, all of the agents we work with belong to the prestigious International Association of Movers (IAM), of which we are also members.
Why Choose Platinum Moving for Ocean Shipping from DC, Maryland, or Virginia?
Shipping items via ocean can be a complicated procedure. At Platinum Moving Services, we have been shipping to worldwide destinations for more than 30 years, so you can rest assured that your overseas shipment is in capable hands.
When you need ocean shipping services, call Platinum Moving at 800-566-6515.